Sunday, September 11, 2016

Chapter 8 Quotation- Blog post assignment 4

"It's not safe for you to go alone" Doug said. "Neither one us would go alone", said Tom. " But it's not safe for any of us to go into the snow. Together or alone", I said. " We want to try it" said Tom. "Thank you," I said. "I'm touched you'd offer but I can't." "Why cant you". Doug asked. "Because the point of my trip is that I'm out here to do it alone." - Chapter 8, page 122

1. Does the quotation relate to the theme ? If so which theme, and how does it relate?

In my opinion this quote relates to the theme of this story. The theme of this story is no matter what happens or what you may go through to still push through. Even when Cheryl was going through drug addiction she still knew she wasn't really that person. Cheryl knew she had to overcome the things that hurt her. For example, when Cheryl lost her mom she knew she had do some of the things her mom taught her in order to preserve her legacy. When Cheryl stated "Because the point of my trip is that I'm out here to do it alone" she portrays the message that she is capable of doing the unthinkable. Cheryl knew the dangers of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail alone but she knew she could do it. Even on days she wanted to quit she told herself things like " I am not afraid", and she still pushed through. Cheryl also portrays self determination. Cheryl didn't want help from others, she was determined to do it alone.

2. Does this quotation characterize Cheryl, Paul, her mother, or another character? If so in what ways does it characterize?

The quotation "Because the point of my trip is that I'm out here to do it alone", characterizes Cheryl in number of ways. Firstly, it shows how fearless of a person Cheryl was. Even though Cheryl was scared about some things on the trail such as wild animals, she still told herself "I am not afraid". Cheryl understood she was a female, and that not many women hike the trail alone. Additionally, the quote characterizes Cheryl by showing determination. Cheryl was determined to finish the hike, even in some cases when she decided she would quit. Finally, the quote characterizes Cheryl by showing she was committed. Even though she was a woman, and was hiking the trail alone she was committed to finish the hike.

1 comment: